When mom was here in the States, she loves to buy fresh bamboo shoots from The Asian market, she will stir fry it with tofu or made stew with pork belly.
She told me about this rice dish that she used to eat as a kid couple of weeks back. When I saw fresh bamboo shoots in the market, I brought home some and made this rice dish and shared with a few friends.
My friends loved it so much that one of them even brought me more bamboo shoots days later and request me to make it again!
600 克 鲜笋
80 克 的五花肉/咸肉 (洗净切片/条，用点食盐和胡椒粉腌十分钟)
30 克的 大旺菜 (洗净用热水泡十分钟)
1 1/2 杯的 香米/大米
2 1/2 杯 水
6-8 只红葱 (切薄片) 或 1 大勺 的 红葱酥
1 小勺 食盐 （或适量）
1/4 小勺 五香粉
600 gm Bamboo Shoots
80 gm of pork belly (thinly sliced or cut into strips and marinate with some salt and pepper powder
30 gm of Dried mussels (Cleaned and soaked in hot water for 10 minutes)
1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice
2 1/2 cups of water
6-8 shallots (Sliced) or 1 tbsp of Fried shallot
1 tsp salt （or to taste）
1/4 tsp Five spice powder
1. Clean fresh bamboo shoots, peel away several of the thickest, outer sheaths. Halve it and use a sharp knife to remove harder part of bamboo shoots.
2. Add bamboo shoots large pot of water with 1 tsp of salt. Bring to a rolling boil , reduce heat to medium and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for about 30 mins. Rinse with cold tap water, store with filtered water in a glass container with lid, use within 1-2 weeks, change water occasionally.
3. Take about 3-4 pieces of halved bamboo shoots and thinly sliced it (or cut into cubes/strips according to your preference).
4. Peel and thinly sliced shallots, heat up 3 tbsp of oil in a cooking wok, fry shallot at medium heat until brown in color. OR heat up the oil and add fried shallot, give it a quick stir until fragrant. Dish the fried shallot out and leave it aside.
5. Add pork belly into wok, continue cooking until changes color and a little browned at the edges. Add fried shallot, five spice powder and mussels, stir until fragrant.
6. Add rice and cook until rice turned translucent, add bamboo shoots and salt, turn well. Add water and cover with lid, cook on high heat for 3 minutes, turn to medium and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, turn the heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes.
7. Fluff the rice with spatula and fork before serving.