There is another thread talking about let your children be a medical doctor. The reasons are:
- good pay,
- stable job, won't ever outsourced
- feels good about saving lives
- takes many years of hard work to be one
I think Chinese Americans should encourage their children to be lawyers.
1. The pay is good
A friend of mine's daughter is about to finish her law school. Her starting salary is $150,000. She found a job with a law firm specialized in corporation laws (contracts, patents, etc.)
2. Won't be outsourced
3. Don't need that many years.
The girl followed a path most Chinese parents wanted their children to be: she graduated with an engineering degree. Went to work with a big firm for a year but got bored quickly. Then she went for law school with the company paying her tuition. She also worked part time for the company the first year. So doesn't need any money from her parents. After 2 years, now she is a lawyer!
4. Chinese should be more involved in America politics instead of just 工匠 (MD is kind of 工匠 too). Who are the politicians of this country? Lawyers!