正文

老美的生活禮節(五)

(2010-06-15 10:53:37) 下一个
Don’t use any low-down, vulgar or filthy language.

不要用任何低賤,下流或骯髒的言語。

Don’t earn a reputation of busybody or nosy Parker; other person’s private life is none of your business.

不要因為好管閒事而出名;別人的私事,與你無關。

(busybody=always interest in others’ business與nosy Parker意思相似。Parker係人名,故要大寫)

Look for the good in everyone and comment on it. Everyone appreciates being complimented sometimes.

在每個人的身上找出優點,並加以讚美。人人都喜歡有時受到誇獎。

Never be a freeloader; always try to invite your friends back to dinner.

不要成為一位吃白食的人;也要回請你朋友吃飯。

(動詞freeload是吃白食,佔便宜)

Be sincere to your friends; don’t tell them in a roundabout way.

真诚地對待朋友,不必繞圈子說話。

(in a roundabout way = beat around the bush)

Don’t show your super-knowledge by talking above the heads of others. Simplify a complicated topic to let even an uneducated person understand.

不要表現你超高知識而使人滿頭霧水。應該簡化複雜的問題,讓沒有受教育的人,也能明白。

It would be nice if we would give praise when it is due.

適當時,給些誇獎,也是好事。

(when it is due = if it is appropriate)

Don’t encourage friends who walk by to join you in line.

排隊時,不要讓過路朋友插隊。

Don’t look for someone in line with whom to strike up a conversation and use that as an opportunity to avoid taking your rightful place at the back of the line.

不要在排隊裡找個熟人談話,借幾插隊避免應該排在後面。

Don’t be impulsive and impatient or restless with mood swings and a short temper.

不要因為情緒不定或脾氣大,而顯得容易激動,不耐煩或焦躁不安。

Being a good listener will do more for you than being a good talker; people enjoy talking about themselves and what they are into.

對你來說,做個好聽者,要比多話者好;人們喜歡談談自己所作所為。

(they are into = they are doing)

Don’t show off or put your friend down. Friends should build up and support each other in time of need.

不要炫耀自己而貶低朋友。需要時,朋友應該彼此鼓勵和支持。

Don’t overshadow your boss; don’t belittle your subordinates.

不要使你的老闆顯得不重要,也不要小看你的部屬。

We should care more about one another rather than about political leanings.

我們應該彼此多關心,不必為了政治傾向而影響。

To heat a different side of the story is a positive step.

聽聽另一方面的意見,是一種積極性的步驟。

Try to approach a person tactfully so that he/she will not reject your idea.

用圓通得體的方式對待他人,這樣人家也許不會拒納你的意見。

One who gives should not remember; one who receives should never forget.

為別人奉獻,不必記得;受別人幫助,不要忘記。

Try to make every effort to be agreeable and objective.

儘量做個隨和和客觀的人。

Never treat others in a despicable manner. Try to be well-liked and well-mannered.

不要用卑鄙的態度對待別人。做個令人喜歡,舉止親切的人。

Don’t be cold, distant, gushing or effusive. A cordial yet quiet manner is the best.

做人不必冷淡疏遠,說話也不必滔滔不絕,或過份的熱情, 真诚而溫和的態度是最上策。

(gushing是亂說話或裝腔作勢;effusive是過份熱情)

If you attend a party, try to mark the occasion with some sort of gift.

假如你參加一個宴會,最好帶點禮物,以表慶賀。

Americans generally will not appreciate advice or help that is not asked for.

老美通常不領情沒有請求的忠告或幫忙。

也就是:You advice will fall on deaf ears.

(你的忠言將成耳邊風)

You have to say,”Excuse me”, when you belch within hearing distance.

當你打嗝,別人可以聽見時,要說「抱歉」。

Don’t listen in on the conversation of others.

不要偷聽別人的談話。

Try to focus on the positive and count your blessings.

把注意力集中在積極性方面,也要感謝上天的賜福。

/懷 中
/摘自世界周刊

[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (0)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.