正文

老美的生活禮節(二)

(2010-05-05 13:21:08) 下一个

Try to avoid asking rude, presumptuous, inappropriate or embarrassing questions.
不要問些冒昧,不恰當或令人尷尬的問題。

Don’t ask others about dyed hair, wigs, toupees or face-lifts.
不要問別人有關染髮;戴假髮或整容的事。
(Wig指女用假髮;toupee是法文指男用假髮)

Watch out for bad breath; use some breath freshener before talking to others.
小心口臭;與別人談話前,先吃幾粒去口臭的糖片。

Don’t try to improve someone except yourself.
不要想改進別人;改善自己就行。

When you converse with someone, don’t come across as patronizing.
與別人談話時,不可有優越的表現。
(come across as patronizing = appear as superior)

Don’t break up the company by a sudden and premature departure.
不要突然或提早離開你的伙伴們。

For men, don’t forget to pull up your zipper.
( = Don’t let your fly be open.)
男人不可忘記拉上褲子的拉鍊。

Don’t appear indifferent or impatient when others are talking.
別人說話時,不要顯得不在乎或不耐煩。

Listening politely to everyone is a cardinal necessity of good breeding.
有禮貌的留神細聽,是良好教養者所必要的。

Watch your mouth; restrain your urge to argue, criticize or complain.
小心說話;盡量控制你想爭論、批評或埋怨的衝動。

Don’t be supercritical, heartless, mean or narcissistic.
不要過份吹毛求疵,狠心刻薄或自我陶醉。
(narcissistic 是孤芳自賞 = self – loving)

Don’t chew your chewing gum while talking.
談話時,不要咀嚼口香糖。

Try to look as neat and good as you can; dress becomingly, talk softly and act courteously.
盡量讓自己看起來很整齊,穿得很恰當,說話很溫和,舉止很客氣。


(2)餐桌禮節 (table manners) :

老美與朋友吃飯時,也很重視下面的禮節。

Never talk with food in your mouth.
嘴裡有食物時,千萬不要張口說話。

Don’t make noises as you are chewing.
吃東西時,不可出聲音。

Take in small bites and chew quietly with your mouth closed. The worst thing is smacking of your food.
小口地吃,閉嘴輕輕地咬。吃東西出聲音,最不好。
(smacking = making noises)

Don’t make noises while eating soup or noodles.
喝湯吃麵時,不可出聲音。
(喝湯叫 eat soup 或have soup, 但不叫 drink soup)

Don’t let your eating behavior get under your friend's skin.
不要讓你朋友不高興你的吃飯行為。
(get under someone’s skin = upset someone)

Don’t help others with their food; pass the dish and let them serve themselves.
不可幫別人夾菜;把菜傳過去,讓他們自己隨意拿。

Use the serving utensils; never use your own.
夾菜時,要公用的匙或叉,不可使用自己用過的。
(這點,老美是特別注意)

Don’t chew your food with your mouth open; it is rude and spoils others’ appetite.
不要張開嘴巴咬東西;那是很不禮貌,破壞別人的食慾。

Don’t stretch across another's plate to reach anything. Ask the person closest to the dish to pass it to you.
不要超越別人的碗盤去拿東西,請靠近菜餚的人為你傳送。

The way you conduct yourself at table is a reflection of your upbringing.
你在餐桌上的舉止,就能反映出你的教養。

Don’t use your fingernail to pick the food particles from between the teeth.
不可用指甲去挖牙縫裡的菜屑。

Never blow your nose at (the) table with your napkin.
千萬不要用餐巾擤鼻涕。 ( table 前的the可省去 )

Don’t bend over your plate or drop your head to bring food to your mouth.
不要彎腰低頭把嘴對著碗盤吃東西。(要用湯匙或叉子把食物送到嘴裡。)

Keep your elbows close to your side.
(=Don’t spread out your elbows.)
不要伸開你的胳膊;要保持在你的範圍。

Don’t use a toothpick at (the) table; use it in the bathroom, instead.
不要在餐桌上用牙籤;到廁所去用。

(/懷中)
/摘自世界周刊

[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (7)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.