正文

老美的生活禮節(四)

(2010-05-14 12:46:44) 下一个
A person’s appearance carries great weight. The key is to be well-groomed.

一個人的外表很重要;主要是衣冠清潔整齊。

We never see if a person’s mind is blank or a mint of knowledge, but we will not forget if he/she is pleasing to your eyes.

我們看不見一個人是否胸無點墨,或學富五車,但我們不會忘記人家賞心悅目的印象。

(a mint of = a lot of)

Try to be more “street smart” than “book smart.”

一位有實際生活經驗而機警生存頭腦的人要比死讀書的人好些。

(street smart意思是knowledge about things in life; book smart是指knowledge from reading)

Don’t be servile toward superiors or arrogant toward inferiors.

對高官富翁,不必卑躬屈膝;對下屬人物也不可傲慢自大。

Don’t scold your children or your house maid (or nanny) before others.

不可在他面前責罵你的孩子或管家/保姆。

A person of (good) breeding never raise his/her voice in an argument.

有好教養的人,不會在爭吵時,抬高嗓門。

Using bad language will cheapen yourself. Never yell at anyone else.

用髒話,會貶低自己,不可對任何人高喊大叫。

Don’t show ill temper if the game goes against you.

如果运動比賽對你不利,不要表現生氣。

It is considered impolite to ask American friends to remove their shoes before entering your home.

進門時,叫老美朋友脫鞋,是不禮貌的。

(一般老美沒有進門脫鞋的習慣)

Don’t just drop in and be a self-invited guest; you need to make an appointment first.

不要做不速之客,應該先有約會。

Don’t wear out your welcome by staying too long at your friend’s house.

不要在朋友家住得太久,此免使人厭煩。

Don’t be a braggart; let other people find your good points.

不要自吹自擂;讓別人去發現你的優點。

(brag是動詞,意思是吹牛;動詞時態: bragged, bragging)

Try to put anger or bitterness behind you and behave civilly to others.

把憤怒和痛恨丟在你的腦後,以禮貌對待他人。

Try to be agreeable and go with the flow.

儘量遵照別人的意思去做,隨和別人。

(go with the flow意思是easy-going)

Never spit on the sidewalk or street anywhere; spitting is inexcusable.

千萬不可在行人道或任何路上吐痰。吐痰是不可原諒的。

Don’t wear pajamas and slippers in public.

在公共場所不可穿睡衣或拖鞋。

Don’t talk at a theater or at a concert when the performance is going on.

在電影院或音樂會裡,當節目進行時,不可談話。

When a person holds a door for you, don’t sail right through without looking at him/her and saying thank you.

當有人為你扶著門,不要輕快地走過,而沒有看著他/她說句謝謝。

Don’t offer to shake hands with a woman unless she first extends her hand.

不要先與女士握手,除非她先伸手。

We can disagree on issues, but still like each other.

我們在議題上可以不同意,但還可以彼此喜歡。

Don’t neglect the nose hairs that project from the nostrils.

不要讓鼻毛從鼻孔露出。

(project = stick out)

You only have one chance to make a good first impression.

你只有一個機會贏得第一次好印象。

Try to greet everyone with an engaging smile.

對每個人要露出願意與他/她談話的笑容。

(engaging = willing to talk)

Many Americans seem friendly and likable at least on the surface.

許多老美至少在表面上顯得友善可愛。

Don’t be small and narrow-minded or fight over trifles.

不要胸襟狹窄,為小事而爭。

Never twist your fiend’s need to fit yours.

不要把你朋友的需要,扭轉成為你的需要。

Don’t use judgmental words such as stupid, naughty, disgusting or asinine, etc.

不要使用自我判斷的字眼,諸如呆頭呆腦的,頑皮的,令人作嘔的,愚笨的,等等。

/懷 中

/摘自世界周刊
[ 打印 ]
阅读 ()评论 (1)
评论
目前还没有任何评论
登录后才可评论.